[Foundation-l] Copies of Wikipedia's articles found on Knol

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 16:15:25 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:05 AM, Magnus Manske
<magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The issue of how CC-BY is not compatible with
>> GFDL is a little opaque, to me
>
> The GFDL does not allow relicensing under CC-BY (unless you wrote the
> text entirely yourself). Trying to do so is a copyright violation on
> your part.
>
> Transparent enough now?
>
> Magnus
>
> P.S.: Yes, the two licenses are similar in spirit. Just not in legalese.

As Magnus said, they are not compatible. In the future, GFDL may be
compatible with CC-BY-SA-3.0, but will never be compatible with
vanilla CC-BY.

So in that sense, I would even amend what Magnus said with stronger
terms -- they are not even the same in spirit.

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)