[Foundation-l] Direct url's posted (Re: Wikimania 2008; online video recordings)

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 17:34:50 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Walter Vermeir <walter at wikipedia.be> wrote:
> Gregory Maxwell schreef:
>> Alas, these are MMS streaming URLs, not download ones.  URLs to
>> download the footage would be much better.
>
> I know. If I could I would have listed them so you can download them.
> But I do not know how.
>
> This;
> http://webcast.bibalex.org/WebCast/wiki-17-7.wmv
>
> gives a "The page cannot be found" error.
>
> --
> Contact: walter AT wikizine DOT org
> Wikizine.org - news for and about the Wikimedia community

Which may be very possible. A server set up with the mms:// protocol
doesn't necessarily put the files on a viewable web server (for one, my
employer doesn't). In this case, you're stuck streaming it over the mms
protocol.

As a note of interest, newer versions of Microsoft Media Server make use
of RTSP as opposed to their proprietary stack. Whether or not that helps
anyone to stream, I don't know (the article on [[w:Microsoft Media Server]]
seems to say VLC can play it, I haven't tried personally).

-Chad