[Foundation-l] Wikimania 2008; online video recordings

Moushira Elamrawy moushirah at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 15:48:20 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Walter Vermeir <walter at wikipedia.be> wrote:

> Casey Brown schreef:
> > I am pretty sure that videos in .ogg (or another more easily playable
> > format) are going to be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons soon.  BA is
> > working on it, atm.
>
> That would be very nice if that would happen. After previous Wikimanias
> it was also anounced that the videos would come soon available.
>
> Let's see after Wikimania 2009 how the videos of Wikimania 2008 are doing.

Hi Walter, Don't worry. BA took care of recording all sessions; so now they
are available in digital format. Of course, videos couldn't be made
instantly available online, for certainly this huge amount of data (some 60
GB!) takes time in processing, and conversion to ogg format. We are still
investigating other options in case this too much data did not fit in
WikiCommons: one video is ~1G, while maximum ogg upload on Commons is
20MB!); other options include uploading videos to an ftp or to the Internet
Archive, which BA already hosts a mirror of.

Opening, closing, keynote and invited speakers sessions were the only ones
that were streamed live, so now they are archived here:
http://webcast.bibalex.org/home/home.aspx,
there is a useful hint for FF on Lunix users here:
http://linuxawy.org/node/28

Same sessions of web-cast, in additions to some others are also available on
Kaltura.devwiki

More news to come next week...Don't worry:)

Regards,
Moushira