[Foundation-l] At least 500 images will have to be deleted from the National Portrait Gallery

Henning Schlottmann h.schlottmann at gmx.net
Thu Jul 24 13:03:21 UTC 2008

Michael Maggs wrote:
> The problem in the UK is that - contrary to what Klaus said - there is
> now a binding Court of Appeal judgement (Hyperion Records v Sawkin)
> which makes it very clear that the Bridgeman principle will _not _stand
> up in a UK court.  You can find details of the UK case law at [[Commons
> talk:When to use the PD-Art tag#Reply to call for revision
> <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:When_to_use_the_PD-Art_tag#Reply_to_call_for_revision>
> ]].

I strongly deny that Sawkins v Hyperion Records Ltd is by any means
authoritative to the question of reproductions of 2D works of art. The
infringed creative rework in that case were so vastly greater than a
mere reproduction, that I can't believe you even bring it up in our
context.

The question of originality in the reproduction of 2D images under UK
law is quoting Michalos (see
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:When_to_use_the_PD-Art_tag)
  "presently an open question in English law." On that page I pointed
out, why I believe we should stand on the side of freedom and public
domain and cite a UK legal scholar who thinks so as well and has strong
arguments.

Ciao Henning