[Foundation-l] At least 500 images will have to be deleted from the National Portrait Gallery

Michael Maggs Michael at Maggs.name
Wed Jul 23 15:31:11 UTC 2008

An interesting theory, but it does not work, of course, or Commons
policy would be in chaos.  You cannot arbitarily choose which country is
the one in which the works were published to suit Commons' convenience.

There is no choice of law here: the photographs were taken in the UK, of
paintings held in the UK, on behalf of a UK museum, and have been
published by that museum on a UK website and by issuing postcards and
other reproductions in the UK.   Why would any UK court think that US
law should be applied?

Michael