[Foundation-l] What is on the back of the logo?

Simetrical Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 21:08:53 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 12:37 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> No. The letters on the globe roughly equate to "w" or "wi"

The Hebrew letter is a resh ("R" sound), and the Greek one is a
capital omega with smooth breathing (in ancient Greek a long "O"
sound, today a long "I" sound).  Doing a little research, the Cyrillic
is a "Y" sound.  The Japanese is the modern katakana representation of
"wi".  The Chinese character I have no idea how to look up, but
apparently it means "ancestor".  I don't recognize the writing system
that the one below it represents.  The rest are at an angle and I
can't even make out their shapes properly.

But anyway, the letters certainly don't all represent "w" sounds.  The
Hebrew should be a vav or double-vav, if that were the case.  The
closest equivalents in both Greek and Cyrillic (neither of which has a
"W" sound, I'm pretty sure) apparently both look exactly like a
capital B, admittedly, at least to judge by their Wikipedias' names,
so their current versions might be the most suitable if that were the
goal.  But I don't think that the goal was specifically to make them
"W" sounds.