[Foundation-l] What is on the back of the logo?

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Tue Jul 22 16:40:26 UTC 2008

Guillaume Paumier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 3:54 PM, Lennart Guldbrandsson
> <wikihannibal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sorry for cross-posting this, but as Cbrown pointed out: not everybody reads
>> the logo page on Meta.
>>
>> Anyway:
>>
>> Wikimedia Sverige <http://se.wikimedia.org/wiki/Huvudsida>, the Swedish
>> chapter, are going to make a 3D version of the Wikipedia logo, a meter in
>> diameter. But this means that we need to know what is on the puzzle pieces
>> on the back of the globe. Which symbols are on the back?
>>
>> It seems that we should probably have some official answer to this - or we
>> will have to improvise ourselves.
>>

> My guess is that there will be no « official » answer to your
> question, simply because there is nothing on the back. Either « be
> bold » or look at
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikimania_2007_Wikiball

I would guess that the desire for an "official" answer has more to do
with simply going ahead. Since the project names and logos are in a
sense owned by the Wikimedia Foundation as trademarks, it would be nice
to have derivatives of them properly cleared. Please ask Sue or Mike
Godwin, but I don't expect it should be a big concern to have chapters
doing something like this.

As for what actually goes there, since the original concept came out of
the community, it makes sense to me for the community to be the one to
extend it. Whether that's more language characters, project logos, or
something else is up to them, and may depend on what it's for. I can see
that sponsor logos could fit in the context of an event with those
sponsors, but it wouldn't be appropriate elsewhere. So anyone can come
up with an idea that fits their needs. We don't need a definitive 3D
version, I don't anticipate changing the "official" logo from the
two-dimensional one anytime soon.

--Michael Snow