[Foundation-l] Ukrainian Wikipedia

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 01:45:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 4:18 AM, Анатолій Гончаров <ahonc.ua at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sysops of uk-wp abuse copyright uploading images with wrong licences. Some
> of them uploads non-free images with free licence. Other ones use fairuses
> in templates and userpages. And you may upload ANY image and put license
> {{Fairuse in}} and image will stay on Wikipedia during months.
> But last week I had some conflict with one of sysops (Turzh): he made edit
> war (twice revert my edits without comments) and then protect article.

I don't know about the other issues, but I looked into the Turzh issue
when it came up on commons-l yesterday. Turzh has done the right thing
and sent a permissions request to the author of a number of images of
churches hosted on some website, and sent the reply to the OTRS
permissions list. The problem is that, as far as I can tell (from a
machine translation of the OTRS ticket), the author has only licenced
the images under some form of non-commercial licence, but Turzh
uploaded them all under CC-BY-SA.

Honest mistake or not, these images are not available under the
licences that Turzh is claiming them to be under, and they ought to be
deleted unless they can immediately be brought within ukwiki's EDP
(which I'm told is taken from ruwiki's which in turn is taken from
enwiki's, so there is probably not any valid fair use claim unless the
churches photographed are no longer standing).

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com