[Foundation-l] Wikipedia still partly blocked on mainland China

oscar van dillen oscarvandillen at wikimedia.org
Fri Jul 11 20:01:25 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 9:40 PM, Ting Chen <Wing.Philopp at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello community,
>
> in the last week we had different reports about the link from mainland
> China about accessability of Wikipedia. Some reported they can access
> Wikipedia, some not, the reports may from the same city. The censorship of
> keywords are still on. By people who can access directly, if you key in a
> keyword, you would no more able to access Wikipedia for a few seconds to a
> few minutes.
>
> A television reporter from Hongkong said although the IOC said that at the
> reporters center one would be able to access without any censorship, the
> reporter showd in television that she can indeed call the main page of
> english Wikipedia, but as soon as she type in a keyword, the connection is
> broken.
>
> Here is the news report:
> http://news.tvb.com/20080708.php?video=http://vdo.tvb.com/n/630pm_news/20080708_03.mp4. The demonstration happens at about 75% to 80% of the report.
>
> Greetings
> Ting.
> --
> Ist Ihr Browser Vista-kompatibel? Jetzt die neuesten
> Browser-Versionen downloaden: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/browser

thank you ting!

i watched the item and saw wikipedia.org and the *blip* twice it goes away
when anything is clicked.
what can we do?
would it be possible to consider adding a notice on (at least)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page warning readers about this
possibility during the olympic games?

all the best,
oscar

--
*edito ergo sum*

www.oscarvandillen.com

The information contained in this message is confidential and may be legally
privileged. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, or reproduction is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return