[Foundation-l] Consensus [was: Top 10 Wikipedias]

Ting Chen Wing.Philopp at gmx.de
Wed Jul 9 07:11:42 UTC 2008

> For those of you following at home, who may be as confused by this
> response as I was, I think Nemo's referring to the list of interwiki
> links for [[Wikipedia:Consensus]], implying that yes, many projects do
> have an equivalent concept.
>
> I haven't been able to figure out whether or not any of them have
> managed to define that concept in a reasonable manner, though.

The chinese version was originally a translation from an earlier english version. It was later customized a little. It says basically in the best situation a consensus is a result of a discussion when no one opposes that result. But in most cases such an ideal consensus is not possible so a pole is needed in such a situation. The result of a pole is not a consensus, but it most likely reflects how the majority of the community see the problem and thus a mean to find a consensus. In most cases if 2/3 of the voters are in agreement then it is considered a quite good consensus. In some cases a more higher percentage is needed (for example for admin an agreement of 85% is needed and for bureaucrats an agreement of 90% is needed).

Ting