[Foundation-l] Chinese Wikipedia unblocked in Mainland China

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 02:46:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 10:26 PM, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hear from friends on the ground that while the Chinese Wikipedia is
> now unblocked, the firewall is definitely still interfering.  They
> report connection resets (modus operandi of the great firewall) on
> every *second* visit to the article on Mao Zedong.

It may be that it attempts to reset every time but the reset arrives
too late to matter half the time.

But of course, this is the sort of concern I was raising in my prior
post... I wasn't attempting any knock on the PRC, since it's certainly
far from the only government with bad policies ...

Just that blocking isn't the worst that can be done.  Leaving the
appearance of non-interference while responding more subtly is
potentially much more harmful.