[Foundation-l] [Wikitech-l] Implementing the Babel extension

Casey Brown cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 14:06:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 2:36 AM, Niklas Laxström
<niklas.laxstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/07/2008, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We try to use very few with our system on Meta-Wiki.
>>  <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:User_language>
>
> It is still using one per language, which means hundreds of them. Now,
> which is easier: copying hundreds of templates periodically, or
> installing an extension that can be updated the normal way. Especially
> for wikies outside of WMF which do not use many bots, if any.

You still aren't understanding me... I'm *love* the idea of an
extension to do this, I would rather we install it/one with the best
features first (especially if it's Wikimedia-wide).

>>  One of my main problems with the babel extension is that I don't think
>>  it gets rid of the *huge* number of categories that need to be created
>>  (otherwise you have ugly redlinks).
>
> There is already a switch to have less categories, requested by me for
> example. What comes to creating the category pages... this is the
> first time I see anyone bringing it up.

$wgBabelUseMainCategories
    A boolean (true or false) indicating whether main categories
featuring all users who specify a level for that language should be
added to a xx category; defaults to true.

How are they added to the category?  Ordered by ability, then
alphabetically... or just alphabetically?

>> The system on Meta-Wiki greatly
>>  reduces the number of categories, but I've been told that the
>>  extension's developer was completely against any changes to the
>>  extension (I didn't hear it directly from him).
>
> It looks like you are spreading FUD about the extension AND the
> developer without checkking the facts first. I would be offended if I
> were the developer in question.
>
> --
> Niklas Laxström

Please check *your* fact first. :-)  I am *for* the extension, I just
wish it were tweaked to be more efficient.  I'm surprised no one is
yelling "enwiki-centric" because the levels were in-fact based off of
enwiki... Furthermore, I put the information in parenthesis *so* he
wouldn't be offended, I have no reason to believe that what I told was
incorrect considering I heard it from a pretty reputable source.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---