[Foundation-l] [Wikitech-l] Implementing the Babel extension

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 05:30:53 UTC 2008

Hoi,
The system may work fine on Meta... That is fine for Meta. I am interested
in seeing it work on other wikis where it does not work. The number and the
distribution of localisations of the extension is better ensured by having
an extension. When the meta functionality was developed, it was not well
possible to talk about its "functionality" it was deemed to be neccessary to
have only a predetermined set of values that were specified for Meta. At a
later stage this list was reluctantly extended. At the time when both
functionalities were developed, there was no wish to cooperate. I have kept
Pathoschild informed about the extension developments ...

In the end the extension is clearly superior because:

   - it does not need to be maintained by copying templates from one project
   to the other
   - it will not fall foul on the localisation of the parser extensions
   - the localisation is part of the Betawiki localisation and it has more
   localisations
   - the notion that the qualification of the levels are "inferior" is
   debatable

One of the reasons for the extension is NOT to have to maintain a long list
of templates. Templates are nice for local usage. When they are to be used
on all our wikis they are a pest. When they are also to be used by projects
outside of the WMF they are clearly inferior.

Templates that are to be used on multiple projects suck big time.

Thanks,
     GerardM