[Foundation-l] Implementing the Babel extension

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 17:39:09 UTC 2008

Hoi.
The Babel templates are widely used on the Wikimedia Foundation's wikis.
Implementing them is a lot of work; you need more then 1000 templates just
to cover the languages that the Wikimedia Foundation supports in its
projects. Several Wikis have templates to support additional languages. For
the bigger projects this is no longer an issue as the templates have already
been created, but for many of the smaller projects getting the Babel
information implemented is a lot of work. It would be great if the time
could be saved to do something that is really useful like writing articles.

At Betawiki we have been working hard to create a Babel extension. The great
news of an extension is, that there is no need to do anything but implement
the extension. We currently think that the software is at a state where we
would like to invite the last comments leading to the implementation on all
the WMF wikis.

Thanks,
     Gerard