[Foundation-l] "Historical" languages and constructed languages

Pharos pharosofalexandria at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 07:18:24 UTC 2008

But, as much as I am sympathetic to constructed languages, I do not
think that there is any rational exception that can be made for them,
and I doubt that in any argument they can be preserved wholly on the
basis of such an arbitrary exception.

Rather, I believe in a reasonable compromise that retains the
useful-to-the-modern-world "historical" and constructed languages, and
keeps out those that aren't written anymore.

And I know you have been an advocate of Latin Wikipedia.  I would not
call such a language "reconstructed", but rather, a living and
evolving "classical language", with an active contemporary literature.
 And I do not believe Latin to be unique in this regard.

What do you think of the proposal for using the demonstrated
notability of a language's contemporary literature (as demonstrated by
a Featured Article on the subject in the English Wikipedia) as the
criteria for the approval of a primarily-written language (such as the