[Foundation-l] 1.6 Billion USD to spare? How about liberation of some pictures

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 14:16:06 UTC 2008

On Jan 23, 2008 7:46 AM, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Using_OmegaWiki_for_Commons is the way in
> which Commons can have tagging with multi lingual functionality. This is
> what I think Commons needs. I think this is the time to start doing this.

This requires accepting the whole OmegaWiki conlang (the associated
meanings stuff) and there actually being a fairly complete OmegaWiki
dictionary.

There is a much simpler "worse is better" solution which simply
involves having separate tag namespaces for different languages (and
possibly even different fields of interest) and then marking
category/tag pages with redirects and related tag links.

We've talked about it at commons before, but their remains a
resistance to tagging schemes and and allegiance to placing all images
in a hierarchy of categories.

I think the first step needed is simply accepting the use of "all that
applies" tagging, either as a replacement for or addition to the
current category system.  Beyond that the details of how the tagging
works can be resolved over time.  We should not fool ourselves into
thinking that we can possibly get it all right on the first try.