[Foundation-l] 1.6 Billion USD to spare? How about liberation of some pictures

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 12:18:49 UTC 2008

On 23/01/2008, White Cat <wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you want to make a name seems like commons is the best place to advertise
> your work if you ask me. Freely license at least some of your work (for
> example low resolution versions), and you can sell the others (high
> resolution version). This is an avenue we can take. Of course I would prefer
> high-quality high-resolution versions but we don't always get what we
> prefer.

Oh yeah. This came up on commons-l today - Rama Rama noted that
photographers like credit in captions, even if we're within the letter
of the licence by noting it only on the image page itself.

I like to add informative captions on en:wp to be *useful to the
reader* - and that often includes the photographer's name. Date, place
and photographer is the basic useful information about a photo, and in
the case of a professional photographer it may well be of reader
interest. If I take a pic I don't expect anyone to care that I took
it, but if it's a CC-by-sa celebrity shot by Alan Light they may well
be interested to know that.

We can't *promise* that - it's up to the project - but we can
encourage it as a useful thing for the reader as well as the polite
thing to do for the photographer.

- d.