[Foundation-l] more thoughts on openness and collaborative media

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 14:20:13 UTC 2008

On 22/01/2008, daniwo59 at aol.com <daniwo59 at aol.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I see what you mean. So, did any reporters get the facts right?

I saw a fair few (I have a Google Alert for "wikipedia" on news and
blogs) which said we were working on it with them (which we are) and
that WikiEducator was not a Wikimedia site (which I got into the press
release at the last moment). The coverage did IMO imply it was closer
than it is.

But as I noted in my message earlier today, web-based collaborative
video editing is a big and important idea, and the technical work is
non-trivial, so encouraging efforts to make a free software version
are arguably a reasonable thing to lend our good name to, even if it's
not likely to come to Wikimedia sites in the near or even medium
future. Kaltura seem non-evil to me so far, FWIW.

- d.