[Foundation-l] Seeking clarification

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 13:56:23 UTC 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 12:42 AM, Jason Safoutin <jason.safoutin at wikinewsie.org> wrote:
> Why should Wikiversity or Wikispecies or any other WMF project have to
> compete with another WMF project, with basically the same goals?
>
> I am all for free collaborative content, but not if it means WMF
> projects have to compete against one another. Would that not defy the
> meaning of collaborative? Why not take what WMF has already and make it
> better. We know they have the capabilities to make new things like a
> collaborative video program...so why not?
>
> Point is the projects are all supposed to be part of a community of
> collaborators. We are supposed to be part of a foundation that supports
> that. Not driving the communities apart.

WikiEducator isn't a WMF project, but that doesn't mean that there
isn't a conflict of interest when it comes to the WMF board. I'm not
saying that there is, I'm just saying that I don't know that there
isn't. The two projects may be competitors, but I don't think that
it's an issue. We've taken a look at some of the numbers, and
Wikiversity appears to be about 3 times bigger and more active then
WikiEducator is, and appears to be growing at a faster rate.

--Andrew Whitworth