[Foundation-l] Update of the Gift Policy

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jan 22 08:06:35 UTC 2008

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Hoi,
> One question, when you get a gift from another non-profit and this other
> non-profit is not American how would it be qualified ? I would not be
> surprised under American law it is not another non-profit. Also when the FSF
> would donate to the WMF howls of protest because of the implied expectations
> .. Now think of the howls of protest of a same donation from Creative
> Commons :) My point would be that any sizable amount given to the WMF that
> is noticed as such should be considered for its impact and when there are
> implied expectations it should be approved by the WMF board.
I can foresee a lot of arguments in those circumstances about what
constitutes "implied expectations".  The very nature of being implied
means that they are not spoken or explicit.  They may not even be clear
in the mind of the person accepting the gift on behalf of Wikimedia.
The donor may view thngs quite differently..

Ec