[Foundation-l] Fwd: Tokipona

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 00:25:46 UTC 2008

Hoi,
Jesse is fond of reminding people that when members of the language
committee express things it is their own opinion. I am happy to echo this.
We have been trying to get to grips with the notion of constructed languages
for some time now and it has been a frustration that it is not possible to
get to objective criteria. Objective criteria are needed because that gets
the personal bits out of it.

I has been clear that I am willing to discriminate against new projects in
constructed languages. I am not willing to deny projects on constructed
languages because they are constructive languages. The exception in the
policy is exactly to overcome a requirement for "native" speakers. This has
always been the case. When there is a big group of contributors willing to
make any language project a success, I am happy to have them do this. My
requirements are simple. The language has to be contemporary for a project
that aims to inform about contemporary subjects. There has to be a solid
grounding linguistically and from an information point of view to allow a
Wikipeida. When this is the case, what would be the argument to deny it ?
What would be the difference between a natural living language and a
constructed language ? In the end ask yourself, what difference does it make
to you ? It is other people that care. What difference does it make to you..
it is not as if they take anything away from you that is yours.... ??
Thanks,
     GerardM