[Foundation-l] Fwd: Tokipona

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 18:03:38 UTC 2008

Hoi,
From my point of view, we are following the definitions of ISO for how we
classify languages. A constructed language is as a consequence explicitly
different from a reconstructed language. In a constructed language new
vocabulary can be created. From my point of view, a reconstructed language
is not the same as the historical, ancient or extinct language it builds
upon. When you consider Latin, according to iso-639 an ancient language, the
standard has it in my opinion wrong because the language never got
completely in disuse.

The discussion about whether we should have constructed languages is in
essence a boring one. People have their opinions and they are typically
unreasonable about it. It would be good when we have some objective criteria
for this. This will keep these ever recurring discussions go away somewhat
more easily. From my point of view, a language needs to have an ISO-639-3
language code and acquiring this is not trivial. When a language can then
show some 200 really well written articles with an active community of at
least five people and having done a good job on the localisation, they can
have my blessing. In this way, the criteria for such a language are much
harsher then natural languages and this should be sufficient for the
exclusionists.

Thanks,
     GerardM