[Foundation-l] The problem with Flash

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 20:07:03 UTC 2008

Hoi,
Nobody is saying that we should use it now. Everybody says that the
situation with Flash is not good. Nobody holds their breath until Adobe
releases its patents. But this whole situation is out of proportion, it is
not what open source is about. When people wanted file server support they
started the Samba <http://us3.samba.org/samba/> project.

When you ask yourself why the WMF asks for people interested to cooperate,
there are a cluster of reasons to be considered. A tool like this has
educational merit. Wikieduacator, an organisation we are associated with,
shows an interest. It does not cost us anything, but it has the potential of
providing improved tooling.

When you ask yourself why would YOU collaborate or not collaborate it makes
sense to ask if you consider it worth your time. You can discuss it on the
mailing list and if the arguments are good for you by all means they are
good enough to make up your mind.

All the technical reasons why you might want to lend a hand have NO bearing
on why the WMF informs you about this opportunity. They do it for their own
reasons. In essence, it has nothing to do with you. When the comparison was
made with religion, you have to appreciate that those who believe are
ferociously against those who do not hold the true faith. This behaviour is
what I observe and from my point of view it is not pretty. This has led to
diminished value of this, the foundation-l, because Mike decided that the
tone of voice was too much even unacceptable. As a consequence we all suffer
a loss because the distance between the foundation and the people of the
community has grown wider.

So, you are doing good in adding "vaporware" to what is already insulting as
it is. When you consider this freedom of speech, you may wonder why some
people are not willing to communicate with you or do not consider your
opinions.
Thanks,
     GerardM