[Foundation-l] [Commons-l] Wikipedia Invites Users to Take Part in Open, Collaborative Video Experiment

Brion Vibber brion at wikimedia.org
Sat Jan 19 23:38:54 UTC 2008

Ben McIlwain wrote:
> It strikes me that there are many *actually* free software projects that
> are already much closer to being usable for our purposes than Kaltura's
> product.  Why aren't we working with them instead of Kaltura?

This isn't a zero-sum game. There's no exclusive arrangement. There's no
"instead of" at issue.

> Why are
> we messing around with for-profit VC companies that are at
> cross-purposes with us when there are many aligned non-profit free
> software projects we could be dealing with?

First, we don't have a corporate policy to consider profit as inherently
evil. That a company is not a non-profit does not mean we should refuse
to deal with them in any way.

Second, there's no need to pretend that encouraging one company to
support open source and open codecs (Ogg Theora) means we can't work
with other groups (companies or otherwise).

-- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)