[Foundation-l] More prodigal son stuff

Mike Godwin mnemonic at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 01:44:15 UTC 2008

Gregory writes:

>  When the foundation demonstrates good performance at bringing needed
> love and attention to open projects, and initiatives by its own
> communities, then giving attention on those who have come from the
> proprietary world will be no cause for bad feelings.

I wholly agree with this sentiment.

I think nothing here is a zero-sum game. Telling people that Kaltura
would welcome some attention doesn't, in my view, drain love and
attention from open projects or from initiatives in its own
communities, any more than the prodigal son made the father love his
other sons any less.

I think what does drain love and attention is needless negativity on
mailing lists, among other things.

So, if I saw the Kaltura announcement and thought it was giving too
much attention to a privately funded experiment, I might say to the
rest of the community and to the Foundation, "what is it that we can
do right now to make sure that open projects and our own initiatives
get the attention they now need?"  And then, presumably, people in the
community could reasonably decide to give time to Kalture, to give
time to other projects, or to continue to give time to baiting people
on mailing lists, depending on whatever pleases them most. Everything
can be understood as an opportunity cost, if you want to analyze the
world that way. But I think that's a pessimistic view. I wouldn't be
surprised if all these projects ultimately fed into each other,
inspired one another, and even lead to convergence -- just as
Wikipedia itself and other projects have.

We should be ready for the best to happen.

--Mike