[Foundation-l] Fundraising & Networking updates

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 13:17:54 UTC 2008

On Jan 16, 2008 4:39 AM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On 1/15/08, simonpedia <simon at cols.com.au> wrote:
> > 1.           I know that advertising is a no no, even though when a do a
> > Google on most organisations/companies it brings me back a Wikipedia page,
> > usually in the top five, adorned with a company logo. This advertising (or
> > product placement) goes on for many products and services, from aeroplanes
> > to universities. Is there any reason the WMF wouldn't create a
> > company/product templates, so it's made plain to an occasional reader, and
> > charge for it?
>
> I think this is a very odd definition of "advertising" or "product
> placement"; the logos are there because these are the official
> identifying marks of the company, and thereby add to a comprehensive
> encyclopedic description thereof. They are added by our readers under
> "fair use", and there's no top down decision that we want them - it's
> the community that judges them to have informational value. Turning
> this into any kind of officially sponsored content seems highly
> problematic, as it would blur the line between content and ads much
> more than even Google ads would.

I don't. For any company you Google who happens to have a Wikipedia
article, you see a page with their logo and a company description.
Now, it may be a neutral description, but the company is still there.
People pay SEOs truckloads of money to get that kind of Google
ranking for their companies, and an entire industry has emerged
from search engines (as you know). You mean to tell me that these
companies who are otherwise paying very heavily to get that top-ranked
spot aren't getting free advertising from us? We may not be getting paid
for it, but companies left and right are advertising all over Wikipedia and
this must stop.

Chad