[Foundation-l] Closure of MANY WMF projects

Jon Harald Søby jhsoby at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 17:31:20 UTC 2008

2008/1/11, Chad <innocentkiller at gmail.com>:

> This issue has come up several times before, and I've thought up a
> solution.
>
> What if we had a centralized wiki (called archive.wikimedia.org or
> somesuch)
> where all closed/inactive wikis with a low number of contributions could
> be
> archived. That way, rather than leaving a Wikiquote locked with 2
> pages and unlikely
> to ever be found, we could have a centralized place where all of these
> low-content
> projects could be placed.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Chad
>
> On Jan 11, 2008 10:54 AM, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 12, 2008 12:41 AM, Thomas Goldammer <thogol at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> > > What about projects with just one or two content pages, but no content
> > > edits since years? (as for example tt.wikiquote, where one single
> > > (small) content page was created in 2004 and nothing except spam and
> > > cleanup since then)
> >
> > I think the most appropriate reaction to those inactive projects is
> > closure. Most of inactive wiktionary, wikibooks and wikiquote were
> > supposed to be launched without any request of particular user group
> > who exactly had wished for that project or even support of language
> > community (i.e. on the wikipedia). They were just the result of
> > language divisions of monolingual parent projects. I assume the
> > closure of such projects harm none, specially if we leave the way to
> > reopen it and if there are contents even a few, to keep it either as
> > dump or just read-only wikis online.
> >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Thogo.
> good
> Projects
> waiting for
> about
> there is no
> like

> projects that

> > --
> > KIZU Naoko
> > http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)
> > Quote of the Day (English): http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/WQ:QOTD

We already have; http://incubator.wikimedia.org/  . The name might not be
optimal, but there is precedent for putting content of closed wikis back
into the Incubator (where they really should have been in the first place).
~~~~

--
Jon Harald Søby
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jon_Harald_S%C3%B8by