[Foundation-l] Litigation costs

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue Jan 8 20:45:08 UTC 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 1:20 PM, Mike Godwin <mgodwin at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Yes, of course the Foundation has defenses under DMCA. But those who
> use our content may not. Are you proposing that we allocate $200K to
> defend those who use project content because we told them it was okay
> to do so per fair use doctrine?

As the only one who mentioned the DMCA in this thread I'll pretend
that question was for me.  And the answer is, no, I'm not.

I'm all for removing non-free content despite a claim that it is "fair
use" and therefore legal.  Besides the obvious argument that a free
encyclopedia should contain free content, I think such mixing of free
and non-free content goes against the spirit if not the letter of the
GFDL.  But I'm also for being honest about the reasons that content is
removed.