[Foundation-l] Meta-arbcom (was: the foundations of...)

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 02:33:46 UTC 2008

My point for saying that stewards would not be well suited to meta-AC
is exactly what Jon articulated. Stewards aren't selected for the
skillset that Arbitrators will need.

Regarding the expert evidence workaround to ArbCom - I think the
language barrier is a unique issue, perhaps only faced by
administrative law justices in immigration courts (At least in the
US). Even technical expertise barriers can typically be bridged using
laymans terms, and infrequently will something be so obscure that a
non-expert couldn't even begin to investigate intelligently. This
wouldn't be the case - AC members would need to rely completely on the
translation of someone not on the Committee (frequently, anyway), and
this person would more than likely participate in the projects
associated with that language - thus presenting the problem of finding
someone who is both uninvolved and fluent.

When I wrote that it seemed unnecessary to create a new election
procedure, what I meant was that if we use the ArbCom's that we
already have and empower them to select representatives to the meta-AC
then you already 1) giving direct control to the projects over the
selection of meta-AC members and 2) you avoid setting up a new (and
difficult) cross-wiki election procedure.

Nathan