[Foundation-l] About transparency

Brion Vibber brion at wikimedia.org
Wed Jan 2 17:30:37 UTC 2008

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
> Currently wikipedias search is its greatest (non-content) achilles
> heel.
[snip]
> The problems with search are lack of wildcards, logical operatives

Actually both of these have been present for some time. Try them yourself:

 wild*

 wild OR tame

 (wild OR tame) AND animal

Note that in my spot-checking, wildcards appear to have some problems
when multiple namespaces are selected for search; we'll have to take a
look at that.

> etc. as well as evaluating significance of relusts contextually.

That's something that I believe Robert (who's been maintaining our
Lucene-based search module) is working to improve.

-- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)