[Foundation-l] Promotion of lesser known projects

Klaus Graf klausgraf at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 1 20:05:02 UTC 2008

> From: Florence Devouard <anthere at anthere.org>
> Subject: [Foundation-l] My 10 wishes list for 2008

> 2. Promotion of lesser known projects
> Whilst Wikipedia has probably reached the top of its fame in the press
> of many nations, and enjoys the largest communities, other wikimedia
> projects are being increasingly successful. Commons has now over
> 2.000.000 free objects and is a unique case of multilingual
> community-based project. The largest Wiktionary is not english speaking,
> but french-speaking, a unique situation in wikimedia project and
> probably a showcase for the francophony. Wikibooks now hosts several
> high quality books, and also receive as donations, books originally
> under regular copyright protection and released under a free license,
> again, showcases of the interest of the educational world for the free
> movement.
> I would like these projects to be shown more attention by the
> Foundation, including more promotion efforts in conferences, press
> release and promotional leaflets, more interest to their specific
> technical needs, and more representativity of their communities.

One can add de.Wikisource which is a project making historical Public
Domain texts in German available with high quality standards. These
standards are NOT (yet) shared by the other Wikisource projects, see
also

http://wikisource.org/wiki/Wikisource:Scriptorium#The_huge_leap

Only de.Wikisource demands scanned texts (or digital photos) for
contributions, most other Wikisource branches have a lot of texts
which are unsourced. De.Wikisource has notes commenting the texts for
lots of texts.

Klaus Graf