[Foundation-l] Status of cloak requests

Casey Brown cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 23:01:07 UTC 2008

Why is this a problem for you?  People only have to be ops in channels
who *want* to be and are willing to use the commands.  I don't think
you are an op in any channels, so this shouldn't be a problem for you.

I'm going to respond to numerous comments in this thread in one bulk
e-mail (not necessarily everything is directed at you).

freenode has its guidelines for a reason and they normally work well.

The networks that you are talking about where ops are *always* opped,
don't have channel services and the only way to keep control of their
channels is to remain opped at all times.  This is not a problem on
freenode, we have channel services (ChanServ for that).

The list of ops can be viewed by doing /msg chanserv access #channel
list and you can contact someone on the list by /msg'ing *or* by
visiting the #wikimedia-ops IRC channel.  freenode also requests that
users are not opped at all times because it turns down the heat in
channels and makes everyone equals.  However, it *is* technically
possible for chanserv to op you whenever you enter a channel and allow
you to remain opped in it (/msg chanserv help level), but #wikimedia
channels don't do that for reasons outlined above.

On the subject of clients, please do not use the fact that your client
does not work properly as a reason for why we should change networks.
There are *many* clients to choose from:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_IRC_clients> and even a
few that work well for macs.

If you a question about customizing a specific client, try visiting
its IRC channel.  For example, there's one at #colloquy on freenode.

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---