[Foundation-l] Wikimania and the Muhammad pix

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 20:38:33 UTC 2008

On 22/02/2008, Ragib Hasan <ragibhasan at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems to me that the images in question are considered/claimed to
>  be important *only because* there are protests against them. This is a
>  circular logic ... the more people protest, the more the "keeper"s of
>  the image insist they must be retained in the article.

I don't think many people are claiming that these images should be
included because they are important. It is not our job to decide which
media and articles are more important than any other and to treat them
differently. The objection is to compromising our policy for any
article or item of media.

Equally, to compromise our policy because there is a protest (and to
assume that issues which people are protesting for have legitimacy, by
default) is nonsensical and circular. If we readily did that, more and
more would try to exert influence on Wikipedia content through
protest.

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)