[Foundation-l] Wikimania and the Muhammad pix

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 16:13:41 UTC 2008

On Feb 21, 2008, at 11:02 AM, Aphaia wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:55 AM, Dan Rosenthal
> <swatjester at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Aphaia: We are not talking about the Orthodox Church of Russia, nor
>> are we talking about Russia.
>
>> We are talking about the former Soviet Union,
>
> And what is relevance to this list, please?

It is relevant to the list because it is an analogy offered by Lars as
to why we should be in Egypt.

>> which was notoriously intolerant of religions, including
>> Christianity and its related sects.
>
> I think I don't need to be informed that from you Westerner.

Oh really? Because Westerners don't have any idea of what the cold war
is like? Because my family is not from the former Soviet Union? Do you
have some special privilege or immunity that exempts you from being
informed of things you apparently don't know about by Westerners? Or
is it that all Westerners are dumb, and you know everything there is
to know about the Cold War era Soviet Union, and you can never learn a
thing from a Westerner about it?

>> Your offense is misplaced.
>
> Disagreed. You talk something never happened and unnecessarily mock
> religious situation. I don't feel insulted even if you don't remember
> me or His Grace Daniel but your joke is simply pointless and not
> funny.

What joke? What do you keep insisting on a joke or mocking? I think
you have the wrong impression that is going on here, and yes, that is
why I think your offense is misplaced. Nobody is joking about
anything. We're debating reasons why the Foundation should or should
not be supporting Wikimania in a country that is hostile to free
expression. I fail to see where the joke and mockery is there, but
feel free to let me know when you find it.

-Dan