[Foundation-l] Wikimania and the Muhammad pix

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 16:02:00 UTC 2008

On 21/02/2008, Dan Rosenthal <swatjester at gmail.com> wrote:

> beliefs. It is, in my opinion, not possible for people to say "Muslims
> believe X". Which muslims? Which sect? In which country? The clerics?
> What about the population at large? Is there opposition? No, it's
> impossible to speak for all Muslims on this issue, and to do so is
> frankly absurd.

Be careful about taking this too far, seductive though the logic is.

The existence of exceptions does not make it unreasonable to conclude
that there is a widespread and significant level of support for the
position, even if its speakers generally overdo it by saying "all
Muslims" - it is quite possible for it to be not *all* Muslims and
still a staggeringly large number of people!

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk