[Foundation-l] Wikimania and the Muhammad pix

Robert Stojnic rainmansr at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 14:13:35 UTC 2008

Not long ago when I was randomly browsing through a mosque's library
in middle east, I found a children's book about Islam, and I remember
seeing people in it.. E.g. when Muhammad was leaving Mecca there
was a picture of *some guy* on a donkey followed by people.. There
wasn't exactly an arrow point to him saying Muhammad, but it was pretty
clear from context..
So, my impression is that the pictures are not huge taboo unless they are
misused. Now, how can a single pictures stir some much controversy?
Well, for that to understand you need to try to put yourself in a
third-world
position. So, imagine, that western culture is not dominant in the world,
imagine it's chinese. And, all your kids read chinese literature, dress
chinese way, write in chinese script (since roman is no longer cool),
watch chinese movies, learn chinese in school, look at chinese websites,
etc... And imagine that only thing that keeps you as community is your
religion considered by china as barbaric, and you as possible
terrorist and second-class citizen... and that somewhere in
well-off china, someone posts cartoons of baby jesus being pissed
on by buddha and confucius... Would you be offended? Would it be
by the picture itself, or by it representing a symbol of humiliation and
power of the first-world to desecrate even the things you find most
sacred and all in the name of free-speech?
I'm not trying to advocate anything, just to draw a picture of how I've
seen people feel - which not might be fully representative, but might
give some insight ..

r.