[Foundation-l] Wikimania and the Muhammad pix

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Thu Feb 21 04:40:17 UTC 2008

In a message dated 2/20/2008 10:13:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
nawrich at gmail.com writes:

Of note  is the fact that while there has been
Islamic terrorist activity in Egypt  between 2004 and 2006, none of it seems
to have occurred in  Alexandria.

Actually, this is not quite accurate. Alexandria, traditionally, was a
cosmopolitan city, with large communities of Jews, Greeks, Copts, and many  others.
In fact, my Jewish  grandmother, who grew up in Alexandria at the  turn of
the century, went to a Catholic school where the languages of  instruction were
Italian and French.

But a lot has changed since then. Many of those minorities have left the
country, while Coptic Christians have been subject to some animosity and even
violence from Muslim fundamentalists.
_http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4366232.stm_ (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4366232.stm)  is  an
example of that. As the article says, relations between the communities are
generally peaceful, though there are tensions, and claims of discrimination.  This
blog post is also quite telling:
_http://arabist.net/archives/2005/11/03/egyptian-blogger-arrested/_
(http://arabist.net/archives/2005/11/03/egyptian-blogger-arrested/) .

Note that I am not claiming that Alexandria is dangerous. I am simply
pointing to some recent events, hoping to show that the situation is neither  black
nor white, but an annoying shade of grey.

Danny

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)