[Foundation-l] First use/contribution by Canadians of Wikipedia

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Thu Feb 21 02:18:46 UTC 2008

Neil Harris wrote:
> Tim Starling wrote:
>> Mike Godwin wrote:
>>
>>> Dear folks,
>>>
>>> In order to pursue our trademark registration in Canada, we would like
>>> to document the earliest uses of Wikipedia by Canadians.  Our Canadian
>>> staff members (Sue Gardner and Jay Walsh) believe the  first Canadian
>>> uses of Wikipedia date back near the origins of
>>> Wikipedia itself.  Considering that Wikipedia started in early 2001,
>>> this should mean that by early 2002 there was significant Canadian
>>> use  of the English-language Wikipedia project.  I assume there was
>>> also early use of the French-language Wikipedia project by French
>>> Canadians -- that would also help us here.
>>>
>>> Does anyone here have any thoughts about how we might document the
>>> (likely) fact that Canadians were engaged with Wikipedia early on?
>>>

>> No doubt our good friend [[User:24.150.61.63]] will be happy to help you
>> out ;)
>>
>> -- Tim Starling
>>

> Tracing of the IP address back to its owner, Cogeco Cable Solutions,
> http://www.cogeco.ca/, should suffice to demonstrate that edits from
> that IP address were made from Canada.

Well, that, and the fact that the guy is pretty famous in our corner of
the Internet, having gone off to terrorise a series of wikis after he left
Wikipedia. He's from Nova Scotia, a fact many Nova Scotians will be aware
of, since we blocked most of the province for the best part of a year to
get rid of the guy. You can find a plausible-looking biography here:

http://openpolitics.ca/Craig+Hubley

And an amusing response to that page here:

http://dowire.org/wiki/Craig_Hubley

At least Anthere got the joke without me having to explain it.

-- Tim Starling