[Foundation-l] Board elections

Jon Harald Søby jhsoby at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 16:35:54 UTC 2008

2008/2/20, Andrew Whitworth <wknight8111 at gmail.com>:
> A few quick questions about this: First, what are the responsibilities
>  of this committee? How much work is involved in it? When does work
>  start?
>
>  I would love to volunteer for something like this, if an opening were
>  available.
>

>  --andrew whitworth

The committee does pretty much everything related to the election. First
comes planning of course. Things that need to be planned are what type of
voting will be used, criteria for suffrage, criteria for candidacy, etc. The
voting type issue is probably something that the committee can't decide for
itself, but has to recomment for the board, and then the board makes the
decision. Then when these things are sorted out, the committee members need
to create all of the pages on Meta related to the election, and try to get
as many people to help in translation as possible – one of the weaknesses of
the last election was that there was very little time between when the pages
were ready and the election started – I'd like to see that time extended
quite a lot this year, so as to allow for more translations to come in. More
time to involve the local communities is also key. When candidates come in
they need to be verified, but that's done by Cary. Then when the voting
starts, the committee members are the ones going through the voter list to
ensure that there are no double votes, etc. And that's mostly it...

--
Jon Harald Søby
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jon_Harald_S%C3%B8by