[Foundation-l] First use/contribution by Canadians of Wikipedia

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 19 00:32:26 UTC 2008

Mike Godwin wrote:
> Dear folks,
>
> In order to pursue our trademark registration in Canada, we would like
> to document the earliest uses of Wikipedia by Canadians.  Our Canadian
> staff members (Sue Gardner and Jay Walsh) believe the  first Canadian
> uses of Wikipedia date back near the origins of
> Wikipedia itself.  Considering that Wikipedia started in early 2001,
> this should mean that by early 2002 there was significant Canadian
> use  of the English-language Wikipedia project.  I assume there was
> also early use of the French-language Wikipedia project by French
> Canadians -- that would also help us here.
>
> Does anyone here have any thoughts about how we might document the
> (likely) fact that Canadians were engaged with Wikipedia early on?
>

> --Mike Godwin
> General Counsel
> Wikimedia Foundation

On the french wikipedia, I remember from the old times (both considered
dinosaurs, which means back from 2002)

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utilisateur:FvdP (his user page goes only
back to the software update, so 31 october 2002, which was switch time).
  He probably joined around summer 2002. He is still active (though not
very active). You may contact him on his talk page.

Amongst other french/english canadians, I also remember is Montréalais.
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utilisateur:Montréalais
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Montréalais
User page created by Mav in august 2002
He is still active.

Both are french and english speaking and have participated to both
languages around the same time.

Ant