[Foundation-l] First use/contribution by Canadians of Wikipedia

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Mon Feb 18 18:37:06 UTC 2008

Dear folks,

In order to pursue our trademark registration in Canada, we would like
to document the earliest uses of Wikipedia by Canadians.  Our Canadian
staff members (Sue Gardner and Jay Walsh) believe the  first Canadian
uses of Wikipedia date back near the origins of
Wikipedia itself.  Considering that Wikipedia started in early 2001,
this should mean that by early 2002 there was significant Canadian
use  of the English-language Wikipedia project.  I assume there was
also early use of the French-language Wikipedia project by French
Canadians -- that would also help us here.

Does anyone here have any thoughts about how we might document the
(likely) fact that Canadians were engaged with Wikipedia early on?

--Mike Godwin
General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation