[Foundation-l] EU wants to increase musicians' and singers' copyright to 95 years

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Fri Feb 15 09:42:23 UTC 2008

David Gerard wrote:

> I mean in terms of what does and doesn't constitute political
> lobbying.

The Swedish chapter, where I'm a board member, is a Swedish
membership organization and should have no formal problems with
doing political lobbying.  The bylaws state we cannot take sides
with political parties ("partipolitiskt obunden" = we promise to
remain independent of political parties), but we certainly can
express our views on issues that relate to our mission, the
promotion of free knowledge.

However, since new Swedish copyright legislation is introduced by
directive from the European Commission, any successful lobbying
would have to take place in Brussels and not in Stockholm.  I know
the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is active in Brussels,
and cooperates with the Free Software Foundation-Europe (FSF-E).
Rather than sending our own lobbyists to Brussels, perhaps it
would be smarter to join their cause?  Would that be a problem?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)