[Foundation-l] Preservation of cultural diversity and minority languages

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Sat Feb 9 00:43:50 UTC 2008

Snipped long debate:

For all the comments about preserving languages, no--that is not the goal  of
Wikipedia or any of the other WMF project. In other words, if there is  one
Eyak speaker left, it is not the goal of the WMF to teach people Eyak so  that
they can then write encyclopedias and other reference works in Eyak for
future generations of a vibrant Eyak community to be.

With reference to Upper, Lower, Middle, or Lost in Limbo Sorbian (or any
other such language), while I quote from memory, the foundation's goal is to
create reference works for people "in their own languages." In other words, as
long as there is a viable body of speakers, it would merit a wikipedia and
other  projects. NB, that is not to say that we should put fundraising campaigns
on  hold until the fundraising interface is translated into Sorbian, etc.

Danny

PS. Marie Smith Jones, the last native Eyak speaker, died less than a month
ago, on January 21, 2008, so the above example is moot. But, you get my point
... (See _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Smith_Jones_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Smith_Jones) )

48)