[Foundation-l] Preservation of cultural diversity and minority languages

geni geniice at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 20:11:08 UTC 2008

On 08/02/2008, Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod at mccme.ru> wrote:
> Related to this discussion:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Language_subcommittee#Localisation
>
> After we have heard the opinions of two language subcommittee members
> (both of whom I highly respect), I would like to ask the community: Are
> the preservation of cultural diversity and minority languages (secondary)
> Wikimedia goals?
>
> Both answers yes or no could actually have some implications.
>
> Cheers,
> Yaroslav

Yes and no.

Yes in so far as in order to "collect and develop educational content"
we need to be able to access the maximum amount of information meaning
that for the time being we have an interest in seeing all written
languages remaining readable and all information in unwritten
languages being transfered to a fixed form. This also gives us an
interest in the translation of Linear A and the like.

No in that "disseminate it effectively and globally" long term
requires that the human race adopt a single language something which
would be most effectively facilitated by the removal of all other
languages as living languages.

Or to put it another way preservation as a dead language yes as a
living language not so much

--
geni