[Foundation-l] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Wikimedia-wide globalblocking mechanism?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Feb 5 19:13:43 UTC 2008

effe iets anders wrote:
> Btw: about the question what is a bot:
> If it sounds like a duck, if it looks like a duck, if it smells like a
> duck, you can act as it would be a duck. Of course we don't bother
> whether it is *really* a bot, or some moorhuhn that is editing
> vandalism very fast, it's about the type of "contributions" I was
> referring to of course :)
I have yet to see evidence that we have any ducks among our editors. :-)

The problem is that failure to give precise definitions opens the door
to unwarranted extrapolations.  We know from experience that
rule-wallahs are more than willing to apply rules to situations well
beyond what the original rule intended.

Ec