[Foundation-l] Oct 22 to January 3 Fundraising Report

Michael Noda michael.noda at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 04:32:58 UTC 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 10:15 PM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > > The point was also made that matching donations came too late in the
> > > campaign to be as effective as they might have otherwise been. This
> > > might have been unavoidable because of the individual donor though.
> > > There is no mention in the report of matching donations?
>
> The timing of the donation made it impossible to phase it in earlier -
> and given that it overlapped with a general boost around New Year's,
> it's hard to tell what the impact on donor behavior was. But we'll
> certainly continue to, *cough*, play with matches to see what effect
> they might have. ;-)

In the current US Presidential Election, Barack Obama has been driving
contributions with a "matching donors" program, which just puts two
individuals who give at the same level in touch with each other.
Perhaps something similar could be looked into for future use?

I will not link the Obama matching donors program directly, for fear
of being accused of electioneering.  :-)