[Foundation-l] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Wikimedia-wide globalblocking mechanism?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 15:14:53 UTC 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 9:59 AM, Pedro Sanchez <pdsanchez at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, once the spambot has detected, it only takes a bot to blok it everywhere
> so the hard part is detecting them, andI don't think we should be doing right
> trusting a bot to detect vandalism and issue blocks everywhere
[snip]

WMF hosts over 700 wikis.  Do you really think it is easy to setup and
maintain a admin-flagged bot account on all of them?

I agree that there are two issues here, deciding what to block
globally, and actually carrying it out.  Lets not reject something
that solves the latter because we don't have a complete solution for
the former.