No subject

Tue Dec 30 21:05:05 UTC 2008

and a rich society in comparison with the most of the world, I may say
that a good ordinary encyclopedia is beyond our cultural strength. A
culture of the similar size has to have very rich and very well
educated society to build ordinary encyclopedias (for example,
Netherlands and Sweden).

Wikipedia makes building encyclopedia much easier. So, it is possible
to have a good online encyclopedia in Serbian. But, everything has
limits. Writing articles which no one would read to search
informations is a task without a lot of sense. It is better to try to
find good examples of language revival, like Welsh is, and try to
incorporate that into Wikimedia procedures, advices to for speakers of
endangered and moribund languages. Making connections with cultural
institutions which care about those languages may be one more good
path.

Actually, listing languages which don't have Wikimedia projects and
making a set of advices for each of them may be a very useful task.

Languages are far from being the same in the cultural sense. Because
of that we need different approaches for different languages.
Demanding MediaWiki localization for endangered or moribund languages
is not reasonable. Waiting undefined amount of time for discussion is
everything but not helping to them. So, we should think and articulate
some kind of solution. Note, also, that Wikimedia is in a very
specific position toward languages of the world: this is the
institution with the best knowledge of world languages. Even there are
just less than 300 languages, there is no other institution in the
world which is covering in depth this number of languages.

> The requirements for new projects have one aim and one aim only; to prevent
> more moribund *projects*. It it painful and stupid to have Wikipedias that
> never got a first article or are not in the language they are supposed to
> be. When a language is extinct or almost extinct, we might allow for a
> Wikisource in such a language. These are conservation projects. I have no
> opinion if Wikisource and MediaWiki provide the appropriate environment for
> such a project. I would not be surprised when other platforms do a better
> job for such languages.
>
> Incubator is in and of itself a temporary affair. This is its original
> purpose.

Incubator may be used for, let's say, building a Wiktionary. Also,
there is a sense to give to Incubator the new purpose: already
mentioned idea of Compendium: until one project is not
self-sustainable, it should exist at Incubator/Compendium. In a lot of
cases, this would be a long term option.