[Foundation-l] Wikistats is back

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 02:46:45 UTC 2008

2008/12/25 geni <geniice at gmail.com>:

> I'd more be thinking of handing over a stack of hard drives to
> wikimedia chapter reps at wikimania .

2TB external hard disk, gzip on the fly (gzipping is faster than the
network - remember, Wikimedia gzips data going between internal
servers in the same rack because CPU is cheaper than network!) - USB
2.0 is 480Mbit/sec, that's 60MB/sec, that's a gzipped dump at about 9
hours 20 minutes a terabyte assuming a near-perfect USB interface.
Long-winded, but all we need is to custom-build a hard disk duplicator
for I/O efficiency. A simple matter of hardware design. Then it should
be no more inherently painful than duplicating VHS video tapes.

- d.