[Foundation-l] New project proposal: Soviet Repressions Memorial

Phil Nash pn007a2145 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Dec 25 00:43:42 UTC 2008

Geoffrey Plourde wrote:
>> Well where will it stop? If we have a project, we should have a
>> memorial project for all disasters. I echo Mr. Bimmler in his
>> concerns about the motives behind this proposal.

I'm in some agreement here because my experience of UK charity law is that
it is not generally permitted to have a "political" purpose, and certainly
taking such a strong line on any "repression", "genocide" etc, would appear
to be anathema to a charitable objective. It's OK, I suppose, if the United
Nations has used such terminology, but I don't think we should be seen to be
taking partisan sides in political disputes, because that dilutes the
educational charitable status of the Foundation. It's entirely a different
issue to support humanitarian aid to the victims, however, and I am open to
the idea that such memorial projects might have that idea as a focus.
However, the way it's been put forward seems to militate against that
construction.